Want to know what's happening in the field of information and records management (RIM)?
Please check this page for regular updates from the field of Records and Information Management.
- Congratulations to Garth Landers of Mimecast Cloud Archive, ARMA International’s new Outside Director!
- Has someone impressed you with their IM/RM achievements this year? The ARMA award season is now underway, and nominations are open.
- ARMA Canada 2019 is only a couple months away! Check out the profiles of this year’s keynote speakers, Jennifer Golbeck and Alistair Croll.
- Thinking of taking the next step in your education? Check out ARMA’s Essentials of Information Governance Certificate Program. Registration ends at noon, March 25th.
- Have you checked out ARMA International’s new news site? Look for regular postings on stories from around the globe
- There’s still time to take the 2019 Cohasset | ARMA International benchmarking survey! Find the survey here, and look out for the results this August!
Other updates from around the web
- Russia explores options for disengaging from the world wide web. Check out this explainer for details of what this could mean.
- Myspace has reported that it has lost all content uploaded pre 2016. Meanwhile, the Internet Archive works to preserve Google+ information before the site shuts down this spring.
- Learn how Information Architecture can provide a strong foundation for your IM program in this iMasters session, free to ARMA Professional Members. The session airs live on February 27.
- CSPS’s Digital Academy has published its first newsletter! Check it out or subscribe here.
- Tech giants are cautioning that AI may pose risks as its penetration in society and economy grows.
- Wondering what’s happening with 5G and Huawei? Check out these explainers from The Guardian newspaper and the CBC.
- Interested in digital IDs and authentication? Check out this podcast with Joni Brennan, President of the Digital ID & Authentication Council of Canada
- What can Canada learn from Estonia? According to Policy Options, the GoC has a lot to learn about digital services!
- The Open Government Partnership will be hosting its 6th Global Summit in Ottawa this May at the Shaw Centre.
- The call for volunteers is now open for the ARMA International annual conference. Find out about volunteer opportunities here!
- The call for proposals and pre-registration are now open for ARMA 2019!
Other Updates from around the Web
- Want to know the latest updates on the GoC Digital Policy? Check out this blog from the GoC CIO, Alex Benay.
- Find out more about the GoC’s approach to AI! Check out this podcast with GoC CIO, Alex Benay.
- When will digital IDs come to Canada? The innovation can’t come soon enough according to the Canadian Bankers Association.
- Do you have some knowledge to pass along? The call for proposals is now open for ARMA Conference 2019, to be held in Nashville, TN.
- Want to have a say in ARMA's future? Remember to vote for the ARMA International Board of Directors!
Other Updates from around the Web
- Interested in privacy and cyber security? Get a peak at what lies ahead for Canada in 2019.
- Wondering what's next for data protection in Europe? Find out in the ePrivacy Regualtions proposed by the European Parliament by reading this explainer.
- Interested in facial recognition? Check out this speculative article on the possible uses the "10 Year Challenge" dataset.
- Want to stay up to date on Content Services Platform? You can now download the 2018 Garnter Report on Content Services free via opentext.
- Remember to check out the candidates for the ARMA International Board of Directors! Voting opens on January 14th.
- Don’t forget to check out the November/December edition of the IM magazine, featuring articles on liability for personal information breaches, big bucket retention, and blockchain!
- Looking for a gift for a special Information Manager? Check out the list of specific discounted hard-copy publications currently available from ARMA International’s online store.
- ARMA International is still seeking to expand its Speaker Database. Create your profile here!
- Want to provide input on the GC IM Common Core file plan? Now’s your chance! Log in to GCconnex and share your feedback.
- Want more insight into how the GC is approaching AI? Check out the Canada School of Public Service’s video on demand, Artificial Intelligence for Insights into Regulations.
- Building on the 2017 to 2021 GC IM-IT Strategic Plan, TBS has released the Digital Operations Strategic Plan: 2018-2022. Read about the GC’s five year plan for IM, IT, OG, digital transformation here.
- The US archival community responds to the use of private email accounts in conducting government business. Read the joint statement here.
- Australia's competition bureau recommends closer oversight of Facebook and Google.
- Looking for some holiday reading? Check out the fall 2018 edition of IG World here to read about Information Security, eDiscovery, and more.
- Missed ARMA Live! 2018? You can still access the ARMA Live! Virtual Conference from the comfort of your computer. Register for the December 11th online event here.
- Curious about E-Signatures? Download An Introduction to E-Signature: Beginner’s Bundle from an ARMA business partner.
- Canada’s use of AI in immigration cases is scrutinized.
- EU and US issue joint statement at the Second Annual EU-US Privacy Shield Review.
- Apple CEO Tim Cook endorses privacy legislation for EU and US.
- Want all the benefits of full ARMA membership while completing your degree? ARMA is now offering a $25 student membership. Register today!
- Want to know more about machine learning? Join ARMA partner, Iron Mountain in their webinar on The ABCs of Machine Learning on November 14th.
- Have you downloaded the new ARMA app yet? Open the your app store and search for ARMA International.
- Have something to talk about? Join the ARMA Speaker Database to register as a potential speaker for local ARMA chapters.
- Are you preparing to take ARMA’s IPG recertification exam? Make sure you’ve checked out the new (simpler!) rules for recertification, effective January 2019!
- Interested in IM jurisprudence in the US? Check out the new ARMA International Education Foundation Report on IM and the Courts!
Other Highlights from around the Web
- Canada’s new PIPEDA regulations on breaches came into effect on November 1st. Find the regulations here, and check out some industry assessments here and here.
- Statistics Canada may delay plans to obtain banking information of 500,000 Canadians following outcry.
- New Zealand has passed legislation allowing customs officials to fine travellers who refuse to disclose laptop and phone passwords.
- ARMA Announced its merger with the Information Coalition. Check out the webinar announcing the merger to find out what this means for your professional association!
- The Information Governance Body of Knowledge (IGBOK) is now available. Get your copy from the ARMA bookshop!
- Want easier access to ARMA resources? Download ARMA international's new app by searching ARMA International in your app store.
- Don't forget to register for ARMA's free webinar, "The Push & Pull of Privacy vs Retention Compliance" available, airing live on October 30th.
- Want to mentor an early career professional? Register as an ARMA mentor for the winter/spring 2019 session.
- Google has decided to shut down Google+ over concerns about the security of personal information.
- PEI considers approaches to facilitating access to adoption records by adult adoptees.
- The ARMA International board of directors is seeking nominations for president-elect and board member. Nominations close October 31st!
- ARMA International’s Information Governance Professional certification exam is now available. Complete your application by November 10th to take the exam by November 17th.
- Check out ARMA’s free webinar "Empowering Record Managers: Building an ROI Case Study" available at 1:00pm on October 11th.
- Remember to check out the September/October issue of ARMA’s IM Magazine, featuring "Out of the Box: Why Organizations Are Jumping to Office 365/SharePoint Online.”
- Register now for "The Push & Pull of Privacy vs. Retention Compliance", available online on October 30th.
- Want to know what’s new with ARMA international? Register for the free webinar “ARMA’s Big News: Innovation Ahead”, available from October 9th - November 9th.
- Look out for the new IM Common Core on GCcollab! The new IMCC was highlighted at GC IM Days and will include Open Government and LAC transfer requirements.
- Provinces are going digital with New Brunswick’s Five-Year Digital Strategy and Newfoundland and Labrador’s Digital by Design Plan.
- The world loses priceless archives of indigenous language and culture as Brazil’s National Museum burns down shortly after its 200th anniversary.
- Registration is open for Public Sector Social Media 2018: Integration, Innovation and Impact to be held Oct 17-18 at the Canadian Museum of Nature.
- FWD50 hosts Rethinking Digital Government on November 7th - 9th at Aberdeen Pavillion in Lansdowne Park.
- Looking for a source of community knowledge on RM/IM/IG? Check out IG GURU to find forums and news, and to browse the RECMGMT-L listserv archives.
- Registration is now open for ARMA’s September 20 webinar on Merger, Acquisition or Divestiture to be hosted by Iron Mountain.
- Registration is now available for the GC's Open First Day on open government (September 28).
- GC continues to push forward on protected cloud service procurement.
- The UK government investigates blockchain for securing digital evidence as part of court reform program. Meanwhile, magnetic tape continues to advance as a cheap, high-density storage option.
- Scott Brison, Minister of Digital Government, lays out his vision for digital transformation.