Want to know what's happening in the field of information and records management (RIM)?
Please check this page for regular updates from the field of Records and Information Management.
- There’s still time to get the early bird rate for ARMA Canada 2019 Conference! Rates go up April 22nd.
- The latest edition of Sagesse, ARMA Canada’s journal, is available online! Check it out to read about the ethics of eHealth, IT project failure, defending traditional rights in the digital age, and more!
- ARMA International has announced the theme of ARMA InfoCon 2019, this year’s international conference. The theme is “Information in Action”, and attendees will hear from speakers about how to harness the value of information within their organizations.
- How can records and information managers align document management practices with compliance and technology needs? Find out in this free webinar offered by ARMA and ACCESS.
Other Updates from around the Web
- Happy Records and Information Management month! Did you know that since 1995, April has been recognized as Records and Information Management month?
- Check out this CBC episode to hear about what archivists are doing to preserve the tweets of the #MeToo movement.
- Speaking of the CBC, did you ever wonder what the broadcaster is doing to preserve its own information? Find out about the CBC’s digital preservation project here.
- The Future Forum is coming up in May! This two day event hosted at the UofO covers topics including AI, open data, and data management.
- That was quick! Google’s parent company, Alphabet, has dissolved the council it recently formed to consider the ethics of AI.
- Congratulations to Garth Landers of Mimecast Cloud Archive, ARMA International’s new Outside Director!
- Has someone impressed you with their IM/RM achievements this year? The ARMA award season is now underway, and nominations are open.
- ARMA Canada 2019 is only a couple months away! Check out the profiles of this year’s keynote speakers, Jennifer Golbeck and Alistair Croll.
- Thinking of taking the next step in your education? Check out ARMA’s Essentials of Information Governance Certificate Program. Registration ends at noon, March 25th.
- Have you checked out ARMA International’s new news site? Look for regular postings on stories from around the globe
- There’s still time to take the 2019 Cohasset | ARMA International benchmarking survey! Find the survey here, and look out for the results this August!
Other updates from around the web
- Russia explores options for disengaging from the world wide web. Check out this explainer for details of what this could mean.
- Myspace has reported that it has lost all content uploaded pre 2016. Meanwhile, the Internet Archive works to preserve Google+ information before the site shuts down this spring.
- Learn how Information Architecture can provide a strong foundation for your IM program in this iMasters session, free to ARMA Professional Members. The session airs live on February 27.
- CSPS’s Digital Academy has published its first newsletter! Check it out or subscribe here.
- Tech giants are cautioning that AI may pose risks as its penetration in society and economy grows.
- Wondering what’s happening with 5G and Huawei? Check out these explainers from The Guardian newspaper and the CBC.
- Interested in digital IDs and authentication? Check out this podcast with Joni Brennan, President of the Digital ID & Authentication Council of Canada
- What can Canada learn from Estonia? According to Policy Options, the GoC has a lot to learn about digital services!
- The Open Government Partnership will be hosting its 6th Global Summit in Ottawa this May at the Shaw Centre.
- The call for volunteers is now open for the ARMA International annual conference. Find out about volunteer opportunities here!
- The call for proposals and pre-registration are now open for ARMA 2019!
Other Updates from around the Web
- Want to know the latest updates on the GoC Digital Policy? Check out this blog from the GoC CIO, Alex Benay.
- Find out more about the GoC’s approach to AI! Check out this podcast with GoC CIO, Alex Benay.
- When will digital IDs come to Canada? The innovation can’t come soon enough according to the Canadian Bankers Association.
- Do you have some knowledge to pass along? The call for proposals is now open for ARMA Conference 2019, to be held in Nashville, TN.
- Want to have a say in ARMA's future? Remember to vote for the ARMA International Board of Directors!
Other Updates from around the Web
- Interested in privacy and cyber security? Get a peak at what lies ahead for Canada in 2019.
- Wondering what's next for data protection in Europe? Find out in the ePrivacy Regualtions proposed by the European Parliament by reading this explainer.
- Interested in facial recognition? Check out this speculative article on the possible uses the "10 Year Challenge" dataset.
- Want to stay up to date on Content Services Platform? You can now download the 2018 Garnter Report on Content Services free via opentext.
- Remember to check out the candidates for the ARMA International Board of Directors! Voting opens on January 14th.
- Don’t forget to check out the November/December edition of the IM magazine, featuring articles on liability for personal information breaches, big bucket retention, and blockchain!
- Looking for a gift for a special Information Manager? Check out the list of specific discounted hard-copy publications currently available from ARMA International’s online store.
- ARMA International is still seeking to expand its Speaker Database. Create your profile here!
- Want to provide input on the GC IM Common Core file plan? Now’s your chance! Log in to GCconnex and share your feedback.
- Want more insight into how the GC is approaching AI? Check out the Canada School of Public Service’s video on demand, Artificial Intelligence for Insights into Regulations.
- Building on the 2017 to 2021 GC IM-IT Strategic Plan, TBS has released the Digital Operations Strategic Plan: 2018-2022. Read about the GC’s five year plan for IM, IT, OG, digital transformation here.
- The US archival community responds to the use of private email accounts in conducting government business. Read the joint statement here.
- Australia's competition bureau recommends closer oversight of Facebook and Google.
- Looking for some holiday reading? Check out the fall 2018 edition of IG World here to read about Information Security, eDiscovery, and more.
- Missed ARMA Live! 2018? You can still access the ARMA Live! Virtual Conference from the comfort of your computer. Register for the December 11th online event here.
- Curious about E-Signatures? Download An Introduction to E-Signature: Beginner’s Bundle from an ARMA business partner.
- Canada’s use of AI in immigration cases is scrutinized.
- EU and US issue joint statement at the Second Annual EU-US Privacy Shield Review.
- Apple CEO Tim Cook endorses privacy legislation for EU and US.
- Want all the benefits of full ARMA membership while completing your degree? ARMA is now offering a $25 student membership. Register today!
- Want to know more about machine learning? Join ARMA partner, Iron Mountain in their webinar on The ABCs of Machine Learning on November 14th.
- Have you downloaded the new ARMA app yet? Open the your app store and search for ARMA International.
- Have something to talk about? Join the ARMA Speaker Database to register as a potential speaker for local ARMA chapters.
- Are you preparing to take ARMA’s IPG recertification exam? Make sure you’ve checked out the new (simpler!) rules for recertification, effective January 2019!
- Interested in IM jurisprudence in the US? Check out the new ARMA International Education Foundation Report on IM and the Courts!
Other Highlights from around the Web
- Canada’s new PIPEDA regulations on breaches came into effect on November 1st. Find the regulations here, and check out some industry assessments here and here.
- Statistics Canada may delay plans to obtain banking information of 500,000 Canadians following outcry.
- New Zealand has passed legislation allowing customs officials to fine travellers who refuse to disclose laptop and phone passwords.
- ARMA Announced its merger with the Information Coalition. Check out the webinar announcing the merger to find out what this means for your professional association!
- The Information Governance Body of Knowledge (IGBOK) is now available. Get your copy from the ARMA bookshop!
- Want easier access to ARMA resources? Download ARMA international's new app by searching ARMA International in your app store.
- Don't forget to register for ARMA's free webinar, "The Push & Pull of Privacy vs Retention Compliance" available, airing live on October 30th.
- Want to mentor an early career professional? Register as an ARMA mentor for the winter/spring 2019 session.
- Google has decided to shut down Google+ over concerns about the security of personal information.
- PEI considers approaches to facilitating access to adoption records by adult adoptees.
- The ARMA International board of directors is seeking nominations for president-elect and board member. Nominations close October 31st!
- ARMA International’s Information Governance Professional certification exam is now available. Complete your application by November 10th to take the exam by November 17th.
- Check out ARMA’s free webinar "Empowering Record Managers: Building an ROI Case Study" available at 1:00pm on October 11th.
- Remember to check out the September/October issue of ARMA’s IM Magazine, featuring "Out of the Box: Why Organizations Are Jumping to Office 365/SharePoint Online.”
- Register now for "The Push & Pull of Privacy vs. Retention Compliance", available online on October 30th.
- Want to know what’s new with ARMA international? Register for the free webinar “ARMA’s Big News: Innovation Ahead”, available from October 9th - November 9th.
- Look out for the new IM Common Core on GCcollab! The new IMCC was highlighted at GC IM Days and will include Open Government and LAC transfer requirements.
- Provinces are going digital with New Brunswick’s Five-Year Digital Strategy and Newfoundland and Labrador’s Digital by Design Plan.
- The world loses priceless archives of indigenous language and culture as Brazil’s National Museum burns down shortly after its 200th anniversary.
- Registration is open for Public Sector Social Media 2018: Integration, Innovation and Impact to be held Oct 17-18 at the Canadian Museum of Nature.
- FWD50 hosts Rethinking Digital Government on November 7th - 9th at Aberdeen Pavillion in Lansdowne Park.
- Looking for a source of community knowledge on RM/IM/IG? Check out IG GURU to find forums and news, and to browse the RECMGMT-L listserv archives.
- Registration is now open for ARMA’s September 20 webinar on Merger, Acquisition or Divestiture to be hosted by Iron Mountain.
- Registration is now available for the GC's Open First Day on open government (September 28).
- GC continues to push forward on protected cloud service procurement.
- The UK government investigates blockchain for securing digital evidence as part of court reform program. Meanwhile, magnetic tape continues to advance as a cheap, high-density storage option.
- Scott Brison, Minister of Digital Government, lays out his vision for digital transformation.